Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wedding Wednesday...Are Braids a good protective style?


Many women of all different ethnicity's chose to have their hair braided. Not only because its low maintenance but also because you can get a variety of different styles. I chose to get them because  I was traveling and I know I was going to a country where I didn’t want to worry about my hair. I wanted to focus on the country and getting engulfed in the culture of it. I went to Haiti a couple of weeks ago and decided to get “box” braids. They weren’t small or large rather medium in size. It took them 5 hours to install them. The woman that did them was really good and not too heavy handed.
I haven’t had braids in over a decade so I was slightly nervous to get them because of the tension on my edges.
I didn’t it would cause too much of an issue because I knew I was only going to keep them for 1 week. 
For that week that I had them, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed them. I was able to pull them up, wear them down, to the side, etc. I had a lot of fun with them. 
 Almost a week to the day, I took them out. 
I noticed some thinning around my hairline. I think the braids were to big and in turn pulling on my edges. It was too heavy for the amount of my natural hair that was braided with it. I didn't see any breakage in other areas of my hair but I did in the front of my hair.
The front of your hair is more fragile and so you have to be extremely careful of how much tension you apply to your hairline. 
I even used raw coconut oil around my hairline when I got the braids installed and I would apply it every few days. 
Braids aren't for everyone and I recommend if you decide to get them that you be cautious of who you allow to install them and make sure it's not too tight. If you are getting bumps that means it's too tight. The type of braiding hair plays a part as well. Some will cause an allergic reaction or cause breakage. I have used kanekalon hair and I've also used human hair. If you know that your scalp is sensitive don't be cheap just spend the extra money and avoid a he ache later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment