Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Rising S.T.A.R.S Pampering Day with the Tress Artist


Over the past weekend I was blessed to be able to use my talents for a great cause. A good friend of mine started a non-profit organization for troubled teen girls who are struggling with their self-esteem. Low self-esteem is a huge problem amongst teens and even some adults. I know how I feel when my hair is freshly done. I feel beautiful and like I can conquer the world. “When you look good, you feel good”.  I saw an area where I could be of some service and I dived in. It was so rewarding to donate my services to these girls. Just to see the smiles on their faces after they had an evening of pampering was incredible.
We totally transformed them into the Cinderella’s that they really are. Often kids with self esteem issues, develop them because of emotional, verbal, sexual, and physical abuse that happens right in their own homes. It’s programs like Rising S.T.A.R.S that gives these girls hope that no matter what their circumstance is, that they can be successful.
I remember vividly how I was as a teen and those were some of the most difficult times of my life because I battled with acceptance and individuality. As a teen you want to be accepted by your peers, you want to be apart of the "popular" social circles. I'm so grateful that I had a amazing support system at home that allowed me to be Serena. I had structure at home and even though at the time I didn't see the benefits, as an adult I do. The type of people you hang around as a teen has a huge effect on your outcome, so it's important to choose them wisely. Kids will be kids, but some of the choices you make as a kid can have a lifelong effect.
This is why Rising S.T.A.R.S is so necessary for the community. It's not only beneficial for girls but also for their families. The program broadens their perspective so that they know, that someone believes in them and they have the ability to be anything that they sought out to be. It takes education, determination, and focus.













No comments:

Post a Comment